All Hostages Freed, Captors Killed As Pakistan Police Station Siege Ends

All hostages freed, captors killed when siege of Pakistani police station ended

The Pakistani minister said all the hostages had been freed. (FILE)


Pakistan’s defense minister said all 33 suspected terror prisoners who occupied a Pakistani police station over the weekend were killed and their hostages freed during a force clearance operation. Tuesday special.

The hostage-takers, who are suspected of being members of various terrorist groups, including Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), overpowered prison guards and looted weapons on Sunday. .

“All the hostages have been freed,” Defense Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif told parliament. “Ten to 15 people from the SSG (special forces) including one officer were wounded while two were martyred.”

Elite soldiers stormed the police station around midday as the hostage-takers erupted in disagreement over how to handle their hostages, with witnesses reporting violent explosions and shootings. .

Muhammad Ali Saif, spokesman for the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provincial government, the suspected terrorists are being held on suspicion of terrorism, have demanded safe passage to Afghanistan in exchange for the release of the hostages – at least. eight police officers and military intelligence officials. , said earlier.

“There were 33 terrorists from different groups who were arrested and jailed in the counter-terrorism department’s compound,” Asif said.

“One of them hit the guard on the head with a brick while going to the bathroom and took his weapon,” he added, explaining the progress of the siege.

The police station is located in the state area in Bannu, adjacent to the formerly autonomous tribal areas of Pakistan and close to the border with Afghanistan.

Offices and streets have been closed and checkpoints have been set up around the area.

Local schools were also ordered to close on Tuesday over fears of more kidnappings, a senior government official at the scene told AFP.

The same source earlier said Pakistani officials had asked the government in Kabul to help free the hostages.

The TTP, which is separate from the Afghan Taliban but has a similar hardline Islamist ideology, said its members were behind the incident and demanded that authorities provide them with safe passage to border areas. .

A spokesman told AFP that special forces suffered heavy casualties and were unable to enter the police station.

Increased violence

The TTP emerged in 2007 and unleashed a terrible wave of violence in Pakistan, much of which was crushed after a military campaign began in 2014.

However, attacks are on the rise again since the Afghan Taliban took control of Kabul last year, with most targeting security forces.

An unstable, months-long cease-fire between the TTP and Islamabad ended last month.

Overnight on Monday, at least 50 Pakistani Taliban terrorists stormed another police station in Wana – also near the Afghan border and about 200 kilometers south of Bannu – according to local authorities and officials senior police officers, both requested anonymity. .

The group locked up police officers and seized weapons before border forces moved in to regain control.

TTP claimed responsibility, saying two police officers were killed.

Authorities have not officially acknowledged the incident.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and was automatically generated from an aggregated feed.)

Featured video of the day

“In Market Of Hatred”: Rahul Gandhi criticizes BJP over ‘Bharat Jodo Yatra’


News 7D: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button