A chicken and vegetable casserole is a baked dish that is served hot and contains sliced chicken, a variety of vegetables and a topping such as bread crumbs. It may also contain cheese and other dairy products. Like other types of casserole, chicken casserole with vegetables often forms the main course of a dinner and is served with side dishes. It can be prepared quickly without much advance preparation, making it a popular dish for busy families. Cooks can also change the ingredients to make different varieties of chicken and vegetable casserole.
The combinations of vegetables that cooks put into a chicken and vegetable casserole are endless. Some easy recipes call for frozen vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, peas and corn. Others call for freshly chopped vegetables that require a little more preparation, such as onions, carrots, mushrooms and tomatoes. Spinach, either fresh or frozen, can also be added to the casserole. The cooking process mixes the vegetables with cheese and other flavors, making homemade casseroles popular ways for parents to get their children to eat vegetables.
Rice with chicken
Chicken, as well as other white meats, are very good for the diet. Specifically, they provide proteins of high biological value, as well as iron, zinc and vitamin B.
On the other hand, as for white rice, we know that it is a cereal with a high amount of carbohydrates. At the same time, enriched presentations provide minerals -mainly calcium and iron-, and vitamins -especially vitamins B1, B2 and D-.
Cheesy chicken broccoli and rice
To make this cheesy chicken broccoli and rice casserole, you can use Minute® Instant White Rice. Click on the link and it’s yours!
- 1 cup of white rice (1/2 lb, about 220 gr).
- 2 chicken thighs (1 lb, about 450 gr).
- 1 ½ glass of chicken broth (1 fl oz, about 300 ml).
- ½ glass of white wine (3 fl oz, about 100 ml).
- 1 carrot cut in slices.
- ½ onion.
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 3 crushed garlic cloves.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil (1.5 fl oz or 45 ml).
- 2 tablespoons of turmeric.
- 2 teaspoons of salt.
- 1 teaspoon of pepper.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 1 cube of chicken stock concentrate (optional).
Step by step preparation
- The first thing to do is to take a large pot and sauté -using olive oil- the onion, the broccoli and the previously crushed garlic cloves. Stir continuously.
- Then add the chicken thighs and cook them until they are golden brown.
- Remember to cut the carrot into slices no more than 2 centimeters thick, so that they can cook properly.
- Next, pour the chicken broth along with the sliced carrots, turmeric, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Stir very well so that the ingredients are integrated.
- Wait at least 5 minutes and then add the cup of wine. Let the alcohol evaporate a little and cover to cook over medium heat. Stir every 5 minutes.
- After about 20 to 25 minutes, check that the chicken is tender.
- Once ready, remove the thighs and add the rice to absorb the chicken broth.
- If it is to your liking, you can add a chicken stock concentrate cube. Cover for 5 minutes and then return the chicken thighs to the pot.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest for a while.
- Finally, serve and add some bay leaves or red bell pepper strips for garnish.
If you are one of those people who care about taking care of your figure and your health, you can make this low-calorie recipe. In that case, you will need to avoid oil and replace some ingredients with:
- Brown rice.
- Low-fat chicken broth.
- Chicken breast.
In short, both alternatives will make you look like an expert in the kitchen with pretty much little work. Besides, as mentioned before, chicken and rice go well with almost everything: feel free to experiment with the ingredients you like.
Here is another recipe made with Minute® Instant White Rice…
Rice burrito recipe
- 2 flour pancakes per person.
- 6 oz of rice per person.
- 10 oz of mushrooms.
- 1 onion.
- 1 clove of garlic.
- Tomato sauce.
- Grated cheese.
- Olive oil.
- The first thing you will do is wash the rice, remember that it has to be about 60 gr. for each person, under running water to remove some of the starch it contains. Then you put it to cook in a saucepan with water and a little salt for 15 minutes.
- Wash the mushrooms to remove the soil and cut them into slices. Chop the onion and the garlic clove, previously peeled, and proceed to fry first these last two ingredients.
- When they are golden brown, add the mushrooms so that they are well done.
- Once the rice is ready, strain it and drain well. Pour the rice into the pan with the rest of the ingredients, stir and let it simmer for five minutes.
- Spread a tomato sauce all over the pancakes you are going to prepare and add some of the sofrito you have made. Sprinkle grated cheese on top and roll up.
- Make as many pancakes as the filling allows and enjoy this fantastic dish.