Health

Diabetes: People who cut down on coffee consumption may have an increased risk of disease


Around five million people in the UK have some form of diabetes. The most common type, accounting for about 90% of cases, is type two. This form of diabetes occurs when the body does not produce enough insulin, or the cells in the body do not respond to insulin. Meanwhile, type one accounts for the remaining 10% of cases.

Several factors can increase or decrease a person’s chance of developing the condition.

Including the amount of coffee they consume.

While the initial assumption may have been that coffee might increase a person’s risk of type two diabetes, the opposite is actually true.

According to a study from Harvard University, people who cut their coffee intake to one cup per day for a period of 4 years had a 17% higher risk of developing diabetes.

READ MORE: Medicinal cannabis could save NHS money

What’s more, those who added an extra cup had an 11% lower risk of developing diabetes.

Although researchers don’t know exactly why coffee has this effect on the body, one theory exists that the action seems to help promote more stable blood sugar levels.

While this means that coffee has a beneficial effect on the body, not all coffees are created equal.

Espresso or cafetiere can offer much higher health benefits than coffee with sugar, whipped cream, and syrup.

DO NOT MISS

With each passing year, scientists are developing a better understanding of diabetes and its treatment.

In recent years, new treatments have been tested and developed, some with promising results.

This includes the use of ultrasound and the development of an artificial pancreas.

If you are concerned that you have symptoms of type two diabetes, talk to your GP.

Source: | This article first appeared on Express.co.uk



Source link

news7d

News of max: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button