Boxing

Does Gennadiy Golovkin have anything left at 40?


Craig Daly Post: Gennadiy Golovkin revealed last Saturday night that he plans to drop to 160th to defend his two titles in that weight division after a disappointing loss to Canelo Alvarez.

Despite his lousy performance, 40-year-old Golovkin (42-2-1, 37 KOs) is optimistic about his future, but he can find the salaries he is used to receiving when part of his DAZN contract was exhausted up.

Golovkin’s contract is signed with DAZN and it is unlikely that they will re-sign him for the currency he previously received. If the PBC signs Golovkin, they’ll probably want to see him play against Jermall Charlo or David Benavidez.

Golovkin will walk the match against one of those two boxers. It would be a terrible way for the famous middleweight star to end his career when he is knocked down by Beterbiev or Charlo.

If Golovkin signs with Top Rank, they will likely insist that he face WBO middleweight champion Janibek Alimkhanuly. It will be a really tough fight for Golovkin given how he goes up against Canelo and Ryota Murata.

DAZN has had a number of lackluster fights involving Golovkin over the past four years as he battles these guys:

  • Steve Rolls
  • Kamil Szeremeta
  • Sergiy Derevyanchenko
  • Ryota Murata

In retrospect, DAZN should have made sure they had control over the opponents Golovkin fought so they could make sure he was up against the guys the boxing public really wanted to see.

“We were looking for a competitive fight, but five years old Gennadiy Golovkin aged 35 to 40 has put himself out of range of a top Canelo, and he can’t really start,” said Gareth A. Davies said. iFL TV. “He can’t start, and Canelo won’t let him start.

“I thought Canelo dominated the fight. Although there is not a large amount of action, the punch stats are also very low. I think Canelo took the lead for the first eight innings, and I had to give him the first eight.

“I think Golovkin then went out and gave his all, and I think won the ninth, tenth and eleventh rounds. I had it 117-111, nine thirds for Canelo. If anything, the controversy in this fight is that the umpire didn’t give Canelo more.

“You can understand 116-112, eight rounds into four, but seven rounds into five, 115-113. Had they given one more inning to Golovkin, we would have had a majority draw, which would again cause a lot of shock around the world.

“It feels a bit underpowered because we didn’t get much from Golovkin in the first two-thirds of the game. The great thing for Golovkin is that he can go back to middleweight and fight Charlo right now or fight one of the middleweights. All is not loss for him, but I think he is very near the end of his career,” Davies said of Golovkin.

Videos on YouTube



Source link

news7d

News 7D: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button