Via Sean Jones: Gennadiy Golovkin hit out at Canelo Alvarez this week in response to the Mexico star saying a three-part match between them was personal to him because of things he said about him four years ago.
Golovkin (41-1-1, 36 KOs) was surprised by this slow response from Mexican star Canelo (57-1-2, 39 KOs), wondering why it took him all these years to finally do something about his anger.
Instead of setting up a trio with GGG over the past four years, Canelo has been quietly talking about what the Kazakh boxer had to say about him in 2018.
What this suggests to some boxing fans is Canelo lacks confidence to face Golovkin again after being given a questionable 12th round majority decision in their rematch in September 2018.
That fight comes after Canelo’s puzzling round 12 draw against GGG in their first game in 2017, fans once again thought Golovkin had won.
Canelo’s four-year delay before making his trio match against Golovkin was seen by some as a move for the Mexican star to increase his chances of winning by getting older before the start of the match.
Golovkin was 36 when he last fought Canelo in 2018 and he will be 40 when/or if they fight on September 17.
By waiting this long before fighting Golovkin again, Canelo has set it up where he won’t get full credit for a win if he defeats him.
“That’s right,” Canelo said when asked if it was still ‘private’ to him. “He talks a lot ***he says a lot of things, but we’ll see,” Canelo said earlier this month shortly after signing a two-fight deal with Matchroom Boxing & DAZN to face Bivol and Golovkin in 2022.
Canelo doesn’t mention the things Golovkin said about him in the last time that angered him, but clearly what he said made it personal.
Golovkin was upset when he discovered that Canelo had tested positive for the banned PED clenbuterol in March 2018, and naturally he ignored that.
“I’ll be honest with you. If he believes that’s what I said and it’s personal, Where has he been all these years? Three or four years already?” Golovkin said above Ariel Helwani . Program.
“Whatever was said was tied to those scandals, and HI’m the cause of those scandals,” Golovkin said of Canelo’s positive test result. “There are arguments and evidence. It’s not me, it’s the whole world.”
In the end, Canelo should have said that it was NOT personal for him to fight Golovkin again.
Golovkin still needs to beat Ryota Murata on April 9 for him to get to a fight with Canelo on September 17. It could be an uphill fight for Golovkin if he’s faltering from aging in 16 months. passed since his protracted war.