Grant Wahl’s death: Journalist’s body brought back to US for autopsy, manager says, following his death at World Cup in Qatar


The body of the famous American journalist Wahl level was brought back to the US and an autopsy is being performed after he died while covering the World Cup in Qatar, his manager said.

Wahl, 49, died on Friday after collapsing while covering the match between Argentina and the Netherlands.

State Department spokesman Ned Price said on Monday Wahl’s remains were repatriated Monday and are in the possession of the New York City medical examiner.

Wahl’s family is expected to share a statement on Tuesday, his manager, Tim Scanlan, told CNN.

Wahl has covered football for more than two decades, including 11 World Cups — six men’s, five women’s — and is the author of several books on the sport, according to his website.

He made headlines in November when it was reported that he had been briefly detained and denied participation in a World Cup match because he wore a rainbow t-shirt in support of his rights. LGBTQ.

Price talks about the circumstances surrounding Wahl’s death.

“We received great cooperation from our Qatari partners as soon as we learned of Grant Wahl’s passing,” said Price. “Our ambassador… is in regular contact with senior officials in the Qatari government in an effort to ensure that we are able to accommodate the family’s wishes as quickly as possible.”

Qatar’s World Cup organizers said on Saturday that Wahl “fell ill” in the press area, where he received “immediate medical treatment on the spot.” He was then transferred to Hamad General Hospital, said a spokesman for the Supreme Court’s Delivery and Legacy Committee, the body responsible for planning the tournament.

In an episode of the podcast Futbol with Grant Wahl, published a few days before his death on December 6, he complained of feeling unwell.

“It has gotten pretty bad in terms of chest tightness, chest tightness, pressure. It feels pretty hairy, it sucks,” Wahl told co-host Chris Wittyngham on the episode. He added that he sought help at the medical clinic at the World Cup media center, believing he had bronchitis.

He was given cough syrup and ibuprofen, and felt better soon after, he said.

Wahl also said he experienced an “involuntary surrender of my body and mind” after the US-Netherlands match on December 3.

“This is not my first horse race. I’ve done eight of these in the south,” he said at the time. “And like, I’ve been sick to some degree in every tournament, and it’s just trying to figure out how to get your job done.”

He further described the incident in a recent news release published on December 5, writing that his body had “broken down” after he had had little sleep, high stress and a heavy workload. . He has had a cold for 10 days, “which has become more severe,” he wrote, adding that he felt better after taking antibiotics and getting some sleep.


News 7D: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button