Officials told Haaretz newspaper that Israel was behind the August 7 attack near the Jabalia refugee camp, contrary to previous claims.
Israeli defense officials have confirmed that an Israeli air strike on a cemetery in Gaza kill five Palestinian children during the attack in early August, according to a new report, contradicting previous statements by senior military officials to local media.
Several defense sources told Haaretz newspaper that an army investigation into the August 7 attack concluded five children – 4-year-old Jamil Najm al-Deen Naijm; Jamil Ihab Najim, 13 years old; Mohammad Nijm, 17 years old; Hamed Nijm, 17 years old; and Nazmi Abu Karsh, 15, were killed by an Israeli air strike on the Al-Faluja Cemetery next to the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza.
The aftermath of that attack, which happened in three days Israel’s Attack in the besieged area from August 6 to August 8, several senior Israeli officers told Haaretz that the death could have been caused by a deflected Islamic Jihad missile.
The military did not publicly blame the deaths and did not respond to Al Jazeera’s request for comment on the latest report.
The silence was conspicuous after the Israeli military quickly blamed Islamic Jihad after eight people, including children, were killed in the Jabalia refugee camp the day before.
The Israeli military said it had not carried out any attacks at the time of that attack and later released video showing several rockets being fired from Gaza, one of which appeared to Like crashing in the middle of a flight.
17 kids have out of 49 Palestinians were killed in a three-day attack, which Israel described as a “pre-emptive operation” after capturing an Islamic Jihad leader in the occupied West Bank a day earlier.
Speaking to Al Jazeera after the August 7 murder, Hamed Najim’s mother noted that the attack occurred just hours before the ceasefire, which had been held, went into effect.
“Just two hours before the truce was announced, he told me he was going out for five minutes with his cousin,” she said. “A moment passed and then we heard a bomb. We ran outside to find my son and his three cousins. All were cut into pieces. “
The Norwegian Refugee Council said three of the boys killed in the attack had been treated for their injuries before passing away.
According to data compiled by International Children’s Defenseat least 2,200 kids have been killed by Israeli troops and Israeli settlers in the Occupied Palestinian Territories since 2000 – the beginning of the Second Intifada.