Via Knitting Ambrosio: According to ESPN’s Mike Coppinger, Jose Ramirez chose to turn down a title fight against WBC lightweight champion Regis Prograis due to his reported dissatisfaction with the 65/35 split he would receive for the match. fight. Instead of such a split, Ramirez (27-1, 17 KOs) wants to split 50/50 as a challenger.
Ramirez said that he “hope to make war happen in the future” with Prograis (28-1, 24 KOs).
Refusal to fight is one good way for Ramirez to avoid losing with Prograis because of the way he looks recently, he won’t stand a chance against the newly crowned WBC champion.
Ramirez lost to Josh Taylor last year, and in 2020 he almost beat Viktor Postol. The year before, Ramirez had won 12 innings that decided by a controversial majority of Jose Zepeda.
As for the fans who witnessed that fight, they felt that Zepeda was robbed. You could argue that Ramirez’s record in his last five games should be 2-3. With Ramirez performing since 2019, the last thing he needs is to play against a talent like Prograis. That guy could end what remains of Ramirez’s sinking career because he looks over the hill.
On social media, Ramirez is being hurled at by boxing fans who see this as a 100% duck on him for denying a title shot. Instead of fighting Prograis, Ramirez could play 35-year-old former IBF lightweight champion Richard Commey, who has a 2-2-1 record in his last five games.
For Ramirez’s sake, we hope he doesn’t hold his breath waiting for a second chance as he’s 30 years old, not getting any better, as we’ve seen in his lousy performances over the past two years. most recent match against Jose Pedraza and Josh Taylor.
Jose Ramirez gave up his title match against Regis Prograis after WBC completed the split with a score of 65-35 in favor of the champion.
– ESPN’s Sideline (@ESPNRingside) December 20, 2022
Prograis wanted to fight Ramirez years ago but failed on every turn, and ultimately chose to fight in a tournament, losing to Scottish boxer Taylor by a very questionable decision in 2019 in London, England. This writer witnessed that fight and Prograis won. Interestingly, Taylor never gave Prograis a rematch.
“I am disappointed in that division” Ramirez said to GAME. “This fight is definitely 50-50. [split]and I agree to get 10% less, but I can’t fight for free and risk being cut too much. Boxing is an extreme sport and we want to make sure we are appreciated.
“This is a great war [vs. Prograis] that is not properly promoted. Hopefully we can make the fight happen in the future when both of us are well compensated.”
You have to wonder what Top Rank is thinking about Ramirez denying a title to Prograis. Will they bring Ramirez into the ranks to fight for the WBO title against Josh Taylor? The top ratings also boosted Taylor.
The thing is, if Ramirez were to challenge for the WBO belt, it would be a voluntary challenger as he was only 3rd, behind #1 Teofimo Lopez and #2 Liam Paro.
Teofimo is getting his first plaudits as he battles the winner of the Taylor vs Jack Catterall rematch. With Ramirez turning down a match against Prograis, Teofimo is next in the WBC standings to be offered a match against Regis, but he probably won’t be in the match; he will probably take the path of least resistance with Josh Taylor.
It is highly unlikely that Teofimo will fight against Prograis, especially given the way Teo performed in a controversial 10th round win over Sandor Martin.
Teofimo has fallen behind as a boxer since his win over Vasyl Lomachenko, and he will have serious problems against Prograis.
Top ranked need to make a decision on what they want to do with Teofimo as he will lose continuously if they play him against opponents and have quality referees running his matches.