Game

Limited Run Games is opening a retail store in North Carolina

Since 2015, Limited Run has been in the business of publishing physical versions of games digitally – often by selling them in low print volumes directly to customers, rather than putting them into distribution. traditional retail. The company does more than that these days, but it’s a business built on cutting out the middle man, avoiding many of the costs that come with over-manufacturing games, letting them sit on shelves and cut costs for everyone involved in the process.

Now, as the company recently announced, it is taking a small step toward becoming the middle man by opening a retail store in North Carolina. Planning to open stores in April, Limited Run has built a space in the MacGregor Village shopping center in Cary, with an ’80s-themed look and custom soundtrack lasting about nine hours.

With staffing plans, a midnight launch, and an expanded trading card section, there’s a lot going on here, so we sent Limited Run CEO Josh Fairhurst a message. number of questions to learn more.

Polygon: So this is weird, right? What is your big picture vision for the store?

Josh Fairhurst: We started the Limited Run game back in 2015 because physical media was dying and we as collectors broke our hearts to see that happen. Something else that has plagued us for so long is the death of physical game stores. Over there [are] the rest of the shops for sure, but nothing like the glory days when there were Babbage’s, Software Etc, FuncoLand and Electronics Boutique in every town. Trying out in a real store is always a dream.

The interior of the Limited Run retail store has pink neon lights

Image: Limited run game

Look at photo you posted on Twitter, my first reaction was that it looked more like a video store than a game store. That might have to do with empty shelves, but was that part of the idea?

It was intentional, yes. We’re trying to tap into nostalgia for the days when physical retail was the only option. Most game stores don’t really have super special skins (and they still don’t) so we borrowed design queues from ’90s video stores, department stores, and one number of video game concept stores of the day ( Blockbuster game store in Jacksonville, FL is our biggest influence).

How much in the store will be dedicated to Limited Run games and how much will be devoted to other things – trading cards, games from other publishers, etc.?

About 75% of the store will be dedicated to Limited Run games and products, while the remaining 25% will be a mix of games, vinyl soundtracks, books, trading cards and merchandise from publishers. copies and other distributors. We will also have a small selection of pre-owned items in the back of our customers’ deals, both modern and classic.

What was the biggest surprise in getting the store ready?

Prepping for the store took longer than we originally planned, so we held a parking lot event in August 2021. In the end, we got more than we expected. 1,000 people – this number far exceeded anything we expected! It was a big surprise and it gave us confidence that the store would eventually be a success.

Ten years on, what is your vision for Limited Run stores really?

We’re hoping to eventually be on the West Coast, preferably in the Bay Area as the number of game stores there is surprisingly low – plus we really want to expand internationally and have some pictures. physical retailing in Europe and Japan.

Source link

news7d

News 7D: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button