Hello and welcome back Equitya podcast about the startup business where we unpack the numbers and nuances behind the headlines.
Wow, a week. It’s really week. Things are busier than ever at TechCrunch, where we emerge from post-conference stupor and straight back into a crowded news cycle. Sure, Musk is still making waves, but there are startup rounds to cover, layoffs to chew on, earnings coverage, unicorn reports, new data, and more.
After significantly cutting back on the material and still going long, here’s what Mary Ann, Natasha and Alex got this week:
- Rewind wants to help people with their memory. We talk about how the startup, launching this week, uses recording technology to help you get what you see, hear and say right at your fingertips.
- We talked about Onwarda startup that wants to help divorced or separated parents argue less about money and how it just raised nearly $10 million despite pre-sales.
- Somewhat odd, Possibly Byju’s IPO of Aakash, a tutoring company it bought the previous year. Our views can be summarized in meme format: edtech IPO? In this economy?
- Unicorns face an extremely difficult journey to go publicthis may partly explain why Byju’s itself isn’t going public (recall it had a plan, but like with so many other companies, these are on hold).
- And then there’s Brex, which announced a new partnership with Techstars despite a big push into the enterprise space.
- Stripe reveals that it has cut 14% of employeesor more than 1,100 people, and CEO and co-founder Patrick Collison admitted that the payments giant was “working too much for the world we live in.”
- And finally, there is a new VC rating company in the vicinity. How do we feel? At least better than some VCs.
Have all of that? Good. Add Monday morning.
Equity drops at 7 a.m. Pacific Time on Mondays and Wednesdays and at 6 a.m. Pacific Time on Fridays, so sign up with us on Apple Podcasts, Dark, Spotify and all embryos. TechCrunch also has a great program about cryptocurrenciesone shows that the founders interviewedone that details how our stories came togetherand more!