The first three three-hour episodes of “Harry and Meghan” were released on Thursday, with three more due to premiere on December 15. So far, the series contains very few blockbusters that palace was scared.
On the show, the couple joins Meghan’s friends and family members as they recount their early lives and blossoming romance, which led to their fairy tale. Wedding at Windsor Castle in 2018, and their growing dissatisfaction with what they see as the media’s racist treatment of Meghan and a lack of support from the palace.
The show’s focus is on the symbiotic and sometimes toxic relationship between the British royal family and the media. Each side needs the other, but both are often unhappy with the arrangement. Prince Harry has long opposed the intrusion of the press, which he says clouded his childhood and contributed to the death of his mother, Princess Diana. She was killed in a car crash in Paris in 1997 while being chased by photographers.
Meghan claims in the documentary that the media wants to “destroy” her, while Harry says his wife has been “madly fed” by the press.
That infuriated Britain’s newspapers, many of which expressed their anger on front pages and editorial sections.
Some objected to claims in the series that the British Commonwealth and its former colonies — an organization led until her death by Queen Elizabeth II — were an extension of the British Empire. and its racism. The front page of the Daily Telegraph accused the performance of being a “direct blow” to the queen’s legacy. In an editorial, the conservative-leaning Daily Mail called the show “no more than an incubator from start to finish.”
The Sun tabloid said the documentary was “made for American audiences — reinforcing their earning potential in America — and disregarding everything and everyone else, including the truth.”
Scotland’s Daily Record reports that the palace has been taken aback by the pair’s allegations, running the headline: “We are not satisfied.”
Bob Seely, a lawmaker from the ruling Conservative Party, has said he will try to introduce a bill in Parliament to strip the couple of their royal titles, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Seely said Prince Harry is attacking important British institutions, “as well as vandalizing his family and monetizing his misery for public consumption.”
Employment Secretary Guy Opperman called the pair “completely unrelated” and urged people to “boycott Netflix and make sure we really focus on the things that matter.”
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s office said it did not support Seely’s bill or boycott Netflix.
“The public wants to see which channel is the problem,” spokesman Jamie Davies said. He said the prime minister has not seen the series and the government “will never comment on royal matters”.
The show takes place at a pivotal moment for the monarchy. King Charles III is trying to show that institution still plays a role after the queen’s September death, whose personal popularity has dampened criticism of the crown during her 70-year reign. hers.
The King declined to comment on the Netflix series during public meetings in London on Thursday or during a visit on Friday to Welsh football club Wrexham AFC, where he met the team’s owners, the Hollywood actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney.
Both said they hadn’t seen the series, and McElhenney joked, “I’ve never heard of it.”
Many in the UK have mixed feelings about a show that re-enacts longstanding grievances between the Sussexes, the palace and the press.
In London, Lucy Barratt, 59, said the documentary was “too much” — but she could watch it anyway,
“I know being a royal sucks, but part of being a royal is not complaining,” she said. “Go ahead, have a drink with a partner and talk about it.
“I was torn between watching it and I was a little bit tempted to cancel Netflix. But then, as a kind of voyeur, I can watch it.”