UN calls for probe into Iranian woman’s death amid protests

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – A top United Nations official on Tuesday requested an independent investigation into the death of an Iranian woman in the custody of the country’s ethics police. when authorities admitted to making arrests during protests over the incident.

The woman’s death sparked protests across the country, including the capital Tehranwhere protesters chanted against the government and clashed with police.

The United Nations Office for Human Rights says Iran’s ethics police have expanded their patrols in recent months, targeting women who do not wear the Muslim hijab properly, known as hijab. It said verified videos showed the women being slapped in the face, beaten with batons and thrown into police cars for wearing headscarves that were too loose.

A similar patrol arrested 22-year-old Mahsa Amini last Tuesday and took her to the police station where she collapsed. She died three days later. Iranian police have denied abusing Amini and said she died of a heart attack. Authorities said they were investigating the incident.

“The tragic death of Mahsa Amini and the allegations of torture and ill-treatment must be promptly, impartially and effectively investigated by an independent competent authority,” said Nada Al-Nashif, acting high commissioner. UN rights said.

The Iranian government did not immediately comment on the statement but has previously criticized the work of United Nations investigators examining rights issues in the country.

Police released closed-door video last week that purported to show the moment Amini collapsed. But her family says she has no history of heart disease.

Amjad Amini, her father, told an Iranian news website that witnesses saw her being pushed into a police car.

“I requested access (video) from the camera inside the car as well as the yard of the police station, but they did not respond,” he said. He also accused the police of not transporting her to the hospital in time, saying she may have been resuscitated.

He said that when he arrived at the hospital he was not allowed to see the body, but managed to catch a glimpse of the bruise on her foot.

Authorities then pressured him to bury her at night, apparently to reduce the possibility of protests, but Amini said the family convinced them to let them bury her at 8. shining.

Amini, a Kurd, was buried Saturday in his hometown of Saqez in western Iran. Protests broke out there after her funeral and police fired tear gas to disperse protesters on Saturday and Sunday. Several protesters were arrested.

Protests have spread to Tehran and other cities on Monday. A news website affiliated with the state broadcaster said 22 people had been arrested at a rally in the northern city of Rasht, the first official confirmation of arrests related to illegal activities. Demonstration.

State television showed footage of Monday’s protests, including two police cars with windows smashed. It said protesters also set fire to two motorbikes and burned Iranian flags in Kurdish and Tehran areas.

State television blamed the unrest abroad and exiled opposition groups, accusing them of using Amini’s death as an excuse for more economic sanctions.

Iran has seen wave of protests in recent years, mainly due to a protracted economic crisis exacerbated by Western sanctions related to the country’s nuclear program. Authorities tried to quell the protests by force.

Source link


News 7D: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button