World

UN ridiculed for tweet on female journalists — RT World News


While 89% of reporters killed last year were men, the UN gender equality organization wants its followers to focus on the remaining 11%.

The United Nations gender equality organization has been widely mocked for a tweet that drew attention to the fact that 11% of journalists murdered in 2021 are women. When the organization asks that criminals “Stop targeting female journalists,” commenters asked what UN Women thought of the remaining 89%.

Of all journalists killed worldwide in 2021, 11% are women, up from 6% in 2020, the United Nations agency said. “Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment” wrote in a tweet on Wednesday, citing figures from UNESCO.

“On the International Day to End Punishment for Crimes Against Journalists, let us say it out loud: STOP TARGETING THE WOMEN’S JOURNEY.” organization continues.

“So 89-94% of journalists killed are men, why are we making a special plea to stop targeting women?” Washington Post columnist Megan McArdle answer. Writer Noah Smith describe the tweet is basically saying “Please only target male journalists, thanks.”

“Are they calling for gender equality here?” journalist Luke Rudkowski requestwhile podcaster Danny Polishchuk joke If so, he will “No rest until 100% of journalists murdered are men!”

About 40% of journalists are women, according to data from 12 countries compiled by Reuters and Oxford University. This means that statistically, female journalists have a much lower risk of dying on the job than their male counterparts, who, despite making up 60% of the workforce, make up almost 90%. number of deaths.

You can share this story on social media:

news7d

News 7D: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button