When it comes to trailers, most people simply phone a nearby trailer business. What many motorists don’t know is that there are different types of towing services and sled The company must know what type of truck to send to your location.
Tractor trucks are usually classified as “light duty“and”heavyweight”, depending on how much weight they can carry. Whether you need a light or heavy tow truck will depend on factors such as distance, the size and condition of your vehicle, or the services required.
Light towing covers most of the conventional towing procedures requiring a standard operator and truck. Light trucks typically weigh between 8,500 and 10,000 lbs. And is capable of handling small to medium towing jobs such as private towing, crash remediation, traffic collisions, and towing abandoned vehicles.
Most light-duty tractors are equipped with a cable system and a winch for efficient hauling. Some also use the dolly towing technique, which requires adding an additional dolly that acts as an extension of the truck. However, compared to heavy tractors, light trucks have less complex tools and equipment and are much easier to operate.
Commercial vehicles such as construction equipment, tractors, garbage truck, and dump trucks are best towed by trucks with heavy towing capacity. Heavy trucks weighing at least 26,000 lbs. and must be able to tow/carry large vehicles with relative ease.
Among the trailer classifications, the heavy duty tractors are equipped with the most advanced equipment (such as 25 ton fork, 6 ton fork, and crank), allowing them to handle the largest pull jobs. These trucks are also expected to have plenty of torque and horsepower.
Due to the more complex nature of heavy-duty trucks, they require operators with a deep understanding of heavy engines and specific tactics to tow the huge vehicles.
The importance of weight in pulling
The weight of your vehicle is an essential factor in determining whether you need a light, medium or heavy duty truck.
Light trucks are not ideal for long hauls and are unlikely to be able to move the vehicles or items needed. hard mission drag. In contrast, using a heavy truck to transport a small vehicle is more inefficient and costly. In addition, renting the wrong type of buggy can damage the transmission and other vehicle components.
Prepare your vehicle for towing
Everyone who owns or operates a vehicle will, at some point, need a professional towing service. It could be due to a road accident, unexpected breakdown, or due to moving locations across the country. Whatever your reason for towing your vehicle, you need to be prepared before the towing company arrives.
Here are some important things to remember:
- Remove anything important. Take your personal belongings and valuables out of the vehicle to ensure they are not lost or damaged during transit. Most towing businesses make it clear that they will not be responsible for any damaged or missing items.
- Close all windows. Close your car windows to prevent any chance of theft while the vehicle is being towed. It’s also important to protect your car’s interior from dirt and debris during transportation.
- Remove the emergency brake. You need to disengage the emergency brake before loading the vehicle into the trailer. If you do not, it may be damaged. Any reliable towing service will check that your emergency brakes are working before towing, but it’s better to make sure that’s done yourself.
- Take a photo of your car. Take some pictures of your vehicle before the towing service arrives. While most companies excel at making sure your vehicle is in good shape, unexpected damage can happen. These photos will come in handy in case something goes wrong.
- Find a reputable towing service. Choose to work with an experienced and reliable towing company. You will probably be tempted to choose the cheapest option available, but there may be a reason why their prices are lower than everything else. Do your research before hiring a tow truck service. You don’t want to take any chances with the safety of your car on the road.
Originally posted on Online working truck