News

World chess champion Magnus Carlsen clearly accuses opponent of cheating



CNN

World chess champion Magnus Carlsen released a statement confirming the cheating allegation against rival and fellow chess grandmaster Hans Niemann on Monday.

Declaration, made through a post on Twitterafter Carlsen’s recent withdrawal from the 2022 Sinquefield Cup in Saint Louis after a third-round defeat to Niemann and withdrew to the Americans after making just one move in the Julius Baer Generation Cup on September 20.

Carlsen had not previously brought any explicit allegations of fraud against Niemann, who has denied any wrongdoing.

In the statement, Carlsen said: “When Niemann was invited to the Sinquefield Cup 2022 at the last minute, I strongly considered withdrawing before the event. I finally chose to play.

“I believe Niemann has cheated more – and more recently – than he has publicly admitted. His progress across the board was unusual, and during our game in the Sinquefield Cup I got the impression that he wasn’t tense or even completely focused on the game in key positions. Importantly, while playing I am unlucky in a way that I think only a handful of players can.

“This game has changed my perspective.”

Carlsen said he believes that “cheating in chess is a huge problem and an existential threat to the game” and that “chess organizers and all those who care about the religious The seriousness of the game we love should seriously consider strengthening security measures and fraud detection methods for the chessboard. “

On the chessboard is played live, instead of online. Carlsen did not provide details on how Niemann may have cheated.

Carlsen went on to note that he has no intention of playing with anyone who has cheated many times in the past because he “doesn’t know what they are capable of doing in the future” before explaining why he He hasn’t said it publicly before.

“At this point, I’m limited in what I can say without Niemann’s explicit permission to speak openly,” said the 31-year-old Norwegian.

“So far I can only speak with my actions, and those actions have made it clear that I am not ready to play chess with Niemann. I hope that the truth on this matter comes out, whatever it may be. ”

Carlsen’s statement is the latest twist in a saga that has consumed the chess world since the defeat to Niemann and the subsequent withdrawal from the Sinquefield Cup.

On Friday, the International Chess Federation (FIDE) reprimanded Carlsen in a statement resigned from the match with Niemann after just one move but added that it shared “the world No. 1’s deep concern about the damage that cheating brings to chess.”

FIDE also said in the statement, “We truly believe there are better ways to handle this situation.”

A few days after the match at the Sinquefield Cup, Niemann publicly responded to allegations that he had cheated earlier in his chess career. The 19-year-old admitted to cheating at the ages of 12 and 16 but said in an interview with St. Louis that he has never cheated in board games.

“I’m telling my truth because I don’t want any distortion,” Niemann said. “I am proud of myself that I learned from that mistake, and now I have left everything to chess. I sacrificed everything for chess.”

Carlsen went on to win the Julius Baer Generation Cup even though he withdrew against Niemann.

Source link

news7d

News 7D: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button